Summary of progress across the 4 tech companies
- More granular settings: 2 out of 4 tech companies announced they have introduced globally features making it easier to set who can see, share, comment or reply to posts (e.g. Limits on Instagram, Safety Mode/Twitter Circle/Unmentioning on Twitter).
- Notifications: 2 out of 4 have announced testing notifications about posts becoming viral with reminders about curation options (Twitter, TikTok).
- Filtering specific sensitive content: 2 out of 4 has announced improved curation of potentially sensitive content via filter or mute words (Sensitive Content Control and Hidden words on Instagram).
- Changes to reporting: 2 out of 4 tech companies announced changes to reporting (Twitter: overhaul reporting process centering on a human-first design / Meta: more limited changes with more “prominent reporting features on Messenger”).
- Tool to manage abuse: Jigsaw (Google Unit) developed with Twitter an open sourced Harassment Manager, intended for journalists and public figures.